Your Essential Spring HVAC Maintenance Checklist Spring is the season of rejuvenation, but it’s not just your garden that needs…
The Difference Between Furnaces and Boilers
Understanding The Difference Between Furnaces and Boilers
As a homeowner, it’s important to understand the differences between furnaces and boilers as they are both commonly used for home heating especially around Bucks County. Furnaces work by heating air and distributing it through ducts to different areas of your home while boilers use water or steam to distribute heat through radiators or in-floor heating systems. Knowing the differences between these two heating system can help you make informed decisions about how to best heat your home. For example, if you live in a colder climate where temperatures regularly drop below freezing, a boiler might be a better choice as it can create a more consistent and efficient heat source. Understanding key differences between furnaces and boilers will help you make the right choice for your home heating needs and ensure you stay comfortable all winter long.
Furnace vs. Boilers
What Are Some Common Furnace Repairs?
- Cracked Heat Exchanger – This pricey repair can be prevented with regular maintenance. This part is important because it separates the combustion process from the breathing air in your furnace.
- Dirty Filters – If you want your furnace to run efficiently then you’ll want to make sure your filters are cleaned or replaced regularly.
- Slipped or Frayed Blower Belt – If you hear a high-pitched squeal then it might be the belt. The blower moves the warm air throughout the house, thus if the belt goes then the air isn’t being distributed.
- Electric Ignition or Pilot Light Control Problems – The ignition of pilot light is the heating element of the furnace, so if you notice a drop in heat you might need a professional to look at this.
- Malfunctioning Thermostat – If your thermostat is malfunctioning it can mess with the fan and comfort levels of your home so if you notice anything off about it be sure to call for help.
- Worn Out Ball Bearings – Usually signified by a scraping sound, if you hear this you’ll want to turn off the furnace and call an HVAC expert right away.
What Are Some Common Boiler RepairS?
- Leaks – Since boilers are designed to be airtight, any leaking is a severe issue. The source of the leak must be found, repaired and the lost water replaced right away.
- Low Water Pressure – Listen for any rumbling sounds because it is a sign of overheating. Leaving your system like this can cause extensive and pricey repairs.
- Corroded Parts – Rust sometimes can get into the boiler and usually means it needs to be replaced. This problem can be limited by regular maintence.
- Broken Circulator Pump – If your heat seems to have stopped but the boiler still seems to be running then the issue is likely the circulator pump. This is a common and fairly easy job for professional HVAC service providers.
- Dirty Tanks – Every now and then the water in the boiler gets dirty with sediment and needs to be replaced with clean water. Regular cleaning keepts the efficancy up in your boiler.
- Burnt-Out Heating Element – In electric boilers there are two heating elements that warm the water inside the tank. If one goes then the temperature will drop, and thus the element will need to be replaced.
Does your furnace, boiler, or heat pump need maintenance? Does your heating system need emergency repairs? Do you know if your HVAC system is ready for winter? Does your water heater need servicing or replacement? Need an entire different HVAC system to help lower your energy costs? HTR Mechanical is here to help the greater Bucks County, PA areas! Contact us today for fast, professional, and high-quality HVAC service!
If you want to see examples of our work and would like to stay up-to-date with our HVAC services in Bucks County. Follow us on social media to get the latest updates, special offers and expert advice. We post articles with tips, advice and we give you an insider look on HVAC systems. Click the links below to give them a read! We add new articles often so there will always be new things to learn.
Preparing Your HVAC Unit for a Snowstorm: Tips for Homeowners When a snowstorm hits, you’re bound to experience some level…
How Ductless AC Systems Work A Comprehensive Guide for Homeowners Keeping our homes cool and comfortable during hot summer months…